Monday, March 8, 2010

to coincide nicely with International Women's Day

Kathryn Bigelow won Best Director last night at the Oscars. Just amazing.

There has naturally been a ton of coverage about it, but I think this is one of my favourite moments, from W&H's Women Directors React To The Win piece:

"Kathryn was a role model and inspiration several years before I directed my first movie. And after I first met her, she became a warm beacon and comrade and big sister. Now, with this Oscar, and the DGA win, she restored all the dreams I didn’t even realize I had allowed to get sidetracked over the years. My happiness for her is complete, because she worked so very hard for it. She never whined, even though she is privately well aware of our struggle as women in the industry. She never became a victim, she did her best, always.

What has been incredible to me about Kathryn’s Oscar win is that women who are not even filmmakers, not in the industry at all, feel her victory is one for all of us. And true to her nature, I knew she would not acknowledge her gender in her acceptance speech, but it was there, she was fully aware of how momentous her win was for all of us. I love her and could not be happier for her. And for every little girl and old girl who was watching with that same dream."
Allison Anders

No comments:

Post a Comment