Saturday, October 17, 2009

Michael Haneke double bill at the Curzon Renoir: Benny’s Video and Funny Games (the original). The first film kicks off at midday – the cinema is e m p t y when I get there, it’s great. Literally like five other people in the screen with me. Kick off my boots and get comfortable. Benny’s Video is interesting, pretty fucked up. I love the fact that I live near enough to the Renoir (about 60 seconds away) that in between switching films, I have enough time to run home, take out my lenses, put on my glasses and grab a drink – and still be back before the second film has started. Funny Games is also great, very interesting in terms of what’s shown and not shown – I can’t decide whether I like the occasional moments of breaking the fourth wall, when the kid talks to the audience and stuff, but overall pretty unsettling.

In the evening I bail on a birthday party and head over to some friends to vegetate in front of the telly - and man am I glad I did because TV history was made this night. Jedward doing Britney? I think it might be one of the best things my eyes have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment