Monday, July 12, 2010

adventures in production running

Currently doing four days production running for a TV show in its preproduction stages. We rotate positions daily, and today I was in the camera room, assisting the Shooting Director, logging tapes, and holding the boom when we were recording interviews.

The room we were in is on the 8th floor of an office block in central London, with pretty great views. It was quite late in the day, I was holding the boom while we were recording, just zoning out as I'd heard the questions quite a few times before, staring blankly at the high rise hotel a block away. A movement in the top floor window caught my eye.

I wish it hadn't.

A fat naked man was parading back and forth in front of the massive penthouse picture windows. The first time it happened I was like "oh gosh", and tried to look away. And then he just kept on walking back and forth, not realising obviously that though he was high up and thought he was away from prying eyes, there were inhabited high rises around too. After about the fifth time of him walking past the window, pale flabby belly jiggling up and down, I had a bad case of the giggles - but with camera and sound rolling, and the SD interviewing some poor applicant, I couldn't do anything about it. I was biting my tongue so hard, trying not to shake so the sound wouldn't be distorted, forced myself to look away until I could calm down.

Eventually he drew the curtains and I got myself back under control. But talk about unfortunate circumstances. As I walked the applicant out I apologised and told him what I'd seen, in case he thought my suppressed giggles were anything to do with him, but luckily he didn't even seem to have noticed as I was facing away from him.

My fellow runner based in the room opposite eagerly asked if he had a "hot bod" when I told her. Alas, if only. Might have made the 14 hour day with one ten minute break slightly more interesting. Ahh, production running...

No comments:

Post a Comment