Wednesday, July 7, 2010

one of those the-internet-makes-the-world-a-small-place moments

So way back at the beginning of this project, at our first meeting (as detailed in the first blog post), a guy sitting next to us in Chiswick Brasserie overheard parts of our conversation:

"The table next to us starts to pack up to leave; one of the men turns to us and tells us there really is some good stuff at the LIFF we should check out. Turns out he's a film reviewer at viewlondon, overheard our conversation. Starts talking to us about filmmaking, picking up on Cici's lack of experience over my (admittedly limited) knowledge. He wishes us luck though; Cici hollers "you'll be reviewing our films in a year or two's time!" after him as he leaves. Probably serves us right for having this meeting at an offshoot of Soho house."

And that's the end of that, I thought. We wrote and planned and auditioned and filmed and edited and that very first meeting was half forgotten in the haze of everything else we were up to.

Then maybe a month ago, I noticed one of my twitter pals mentioning he was going for brunch at Chiswick Brasserie. Intrigued in that way you are when random internet friends you've never met go to the same places you do, I checked out his profile and saw he was a film reviewer. For Viewlondon. Too much coincidence.

I direct message him, asking if, by any chance, and if he remembers, he might be the person I referred to in the first blog post.

FilmFan1971
Yes! Of course I remember. God, I love Twitter. Did you see much LFF stuff in the end?


Hilarious. We were each following each other this whole time without even realising it. I think I'd followed him for purely filmic reasons (not sure about his reasons). What a strange small world. (Oh, and the answer is no, I didn't see anything at the London Film Festival in the end).

We struck up an email correspondence (mostly about film) (we are nerds), and he offered me his +1 for a press screening of Adam Green's Frozen this evening - which, I am glad to say, totally ruled.

Love the internet sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment