Friday, January 22, 2010

auditions, part 3

So the guy we've been counting on to be our Pinky - the lead character, basically - keeps faffing around and then more or less drops out. We're up shit creek - our own fault for putting all our eggs in one basket, and we know it, but it still doesn't help.

I make the mistake, during our panicked conversation, of mentioning to Cici that Simon Bird (who is ideal Pinky material) is currently working/based in my office, just a few feet away from me. She begs me to ask him to be in it. Properly begs. I laugh her off, don't even consider it. "What have you got to lose?!" she counters. My pride, dignity and possibly my job? "Oh, we can build them right back up again, it's fine!" Of course I wouldn't even dream of it, but then do get the giggles when I run into him in the kitchen. He doesn't know how close he's come to Cici trying to storm the building and confront him.

Anyhow. Friday evening, many complications and location changes later, we end up holding what we hope are our final auditions in Le Pain Quotidien in Notting Hill Gate. No, it's not exactly an ideal audition location. Yes, we were at our wit's end. It's a pretty grim Friday evening after a verrrrry l o n g week. Cici and I both get a large glass of wine (seriously, it's that kind of day) and run through a couple of business things before the first guy turns up. He's very sweet but not quite right for the part. I'm starting to panic a little. If this last guy doesn't get it either, it's totally back to the drawing board, and possibly rescheduling the shoot. He's been househunting and is running super late but turns up, sits down - and nails it. Like, pitch fucking perfect. I know it, Cici knows it. This is our Pinky. We check his availability and try not to smother him with affection, but as soon as he's left Cici grabs me, beaming.

The evening has been saved. The shoot has been saved. We cut it close but we're now fully cast. AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment